By Lichtenberk, Frantisek
Toqabaqita is an Austronesian language spoken by way of nearly 13,000 humans at the island of Malaita within the south-eastern Solomon Islands. This two-volume grammar is the 1st entire description of the language, in line with the author's box paintings. The grammar bargains with the phonology, morphology, syntax, and discourse styles of the language, in addition to with its touch with Solomon Islands Pijin. will probably be of exact curiosity to typologists and to experts in Austronesian linguistics.
Read or Download A Grammar of Toqabaqita (Mouton Grammar Library) PDF
Best foreign language dictionaries & thesauruses books
This version is written in English. despite the fact that, there's a operating German word list on the backside of every web page for the tougher English phrases highlighted within the textual content. there are lots of versions of The Iliad. This variation will be helpful if you want
The Arabic taught during this path is the normal written language of greater than one hundred fifty million population of the Arab states, starting from Morocco within the west to Iraq within the east. The language during this direction is predicated at the form of fabric noticeable in Arabic newspapers and magazines or heard on radio and tv information pronounces.
Old Nuzi, buried underneath sleek Yorghan Tepe in northern Iraq, is a overdue Bronze Age city belonging to the dominion of Arrap a that has yielded among 6,500 and 7,000 felony, fiscal and administrative pills, all belonging to a interval of a few 5 generations (ca. 1475 1350 B. C. E. ) and just about all from identified archaeological contexts.
- Notes from Underground (Webster's German Thesaurus Edition)
- Colloquial Tibetan: The Complete Course for Beginners
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning German
- Dictionnaire des combinaisons de mots
Extra info for A Grammar of Toqabaqita (Mouton Grammar Library)
77/ anterior-continuing postverbal particle There are several pieces of evidence that such words are indeed disyllabic, rather than monosyllabic with a lengthened vowel (to make them bimoraic). First, even though in fast speech the two vowels are sometimes realized as one long one, normally there is rearticulation of the vowels. There are a few words that consist exclusively of two identical vowels. 2 Phonotactics (2-30) a. b. /nn/ /++/ [n:n] [+:+] 17 ‘be sour’ ‘be located (at a place)’ (There are two verbs with the meaning ‘be located (at a place)’: /++/ and /n++/.
1. 1. Consonant phonemes bilabial plosives voiced voiceless nasals, voiced trill, voiced fricatives, voiceless approximants, voiced lateral glide interdental b m 6 dental d t n r s labial-velar velar glottal gdb kdp g k 0 ! l w /gdb/ and /kdp/ are doubly articulated, labial-velar plosives. The voiced plosives and the glide are or can be prenasalized: [mb], [nd], [0g], [0gdb], and [0w]. With respect to prenasalization, /w/ behaves as a velar sound. 2. The nonstrident fricatives // and /6/ are voiced intervocalically: [$] and [&], respectively.
House ‘of a married couple: sleep together (and have sex) in the family house (not normally done in traditional times)’ (2-55) Similarly, in the lexicalized phrases in (2-56) the final syllables of the first components receive stress: (2-56) a. spirit-LOC-sky ‘ancestral spirit that resides high up in the air’ b. ground ‘sp. 7ymb7l7] cf. OBJ ‘mutter about him/her/it’ cf. 4. Reduplication Reduplication is a pervasive phenomenon in Toqabaqita with a variety of functions. A number of types of reduplication patterns are distinguished in the language on the basis of two main criteria: (a) the number of syllables reduplicated; (b) prefixation vs.